The message of the Bible is in three parts:
- Creation: when God created all of the universe including humankind
- The Fall: when sin entered the world
- Redemption: the majority of the Bible
During Creation, God created man in His image.
What does it mean to be created in the image of God?
We resemble God morally and we were perfect and innocent.
- Of all the things God created that He saw as “good”, when He created humankind, He saw it as “very good”. (Gen. 1:31)
- Before sin entered the world, man felt no shame. (Gen. 2:25)
We resemble God mentally in that we can reason and choose.
- When woman was tempted by the snake to eat of the fruit of the tree of good and evil, she reasoned that the fruit was “delightful to look at”, it was “desirable for obtaining wisdom”. (Gen. 2:6)
- She made a choice to eat of the forbidden fruit, disobeying God’s command to pursue her own desires.
We resemble God socially in that we desire a personal connection with others.
- God created a helpmate for man when He created woman because “It is not good for the man to be alone.” (Gen. 2:18)
- God gave man the gift of a partner, rather than making the man seek after one for himself. God “brought her to the man”. (Gen. 2:22)
We have privileges and responsibilities as God's image bearers.
PRIVILEGE of talking with God and having a relationship with Him.
RESPONSIBILITY of learning His will and purpose in life.
RESPONSIBILITY of living out His will in our world.
IMAGE OF GOD TAKEAWAYS:
#1 – I AM LOVED.
#2 – I AM BROKEN.
#3 – SIN IS FATAL.
#4 – I AM RESTORED.
#5 – I HAVE A PURPOSE.
#6 – I HAVE A CHOICE.